- Tasty - We use pastrami rather than corned beef, which is made from the fatter part of the brisket - and fat means more flavor. Pastrami is also lower in sodium. Our casserole includes all the classic reuben flavors: rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand islands dressing.
- Easy - This layered casserole preps in 10 minutes. You can make ahead and bake it later. It's made in the casserole dish so there's little clean-up.
- Crispy Top - Rye breadcrumbs gives it a crispy top that balances the warm tender beef, cheese and dressing on the inside.
- 5 slices dark rye bread cubed
- 2 slices dark rye bread ground into fine crumbs
- ¾ lb pastrami thinly-sliced or shaved
- 16 oz sauerkraut
- 3 cups swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup dill pickles chopped
- ½ cup Thousand Island dressing
- ¼ cup mustard
- 2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Spray a 9-inch-by-11-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Thoroughly rinse and drain the sauerkraut to prevent the casserole from being soggy.
- Spread half the bread cubes in the prepared pan. Layer half the pastrami over top, followed by half the sauerkraut, half the cheese, all of the pickles and all of the mustard.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds on top. Layer the remaining bread cubes, pastrami, sauerkraut, cheese and the Thousand Island dressing.
- Sprinkle the rye bread crumbs on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is browned, the center is set, and the mixture is bubbly.
Calories: 462kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 1854mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 573mg | Iron: 4mg