This deliciously moist chocolate cake is crazy. Crazy because it's made without eggs, butter, and milk. It became popular in the 1930's during the Great Depression when money and ingredients were scarce.
Our dairy-free cake can be made right in the cake pan so there's little clean-up. With only 10 minutes of prep you can have a rich, springy, delicious chocolate cake.
Crazy Chocolate Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Add all the dry ingredients directly to the pan and mix.
- Make 3 depressions – 2 small and 1 large – in the mixed dry ingredients. Pour the vinegar in one of the small depressions, the vanilla in the other small depression, and the vegetable oil in the large depression. Pour water over all, and mix with a fork until smooth.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Top with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
Let us know in the comments if you have ever tried crazy cake.