- Fun - Made in rind to look like real watermelon wedges. Great presentation appeal for parties.
- Kid & Adult Friendly - Make with or without liquor.
- Refreshing - Chilled, they are perfect for hot days.
- Easy - Only 4 ingredients, and preps in 10 minutes.
Watermelon Jello Shots
- 1 12-16 pound Watermelon
- 4 3oz boxes watermelon flavored Jell-O (or your favorite brand of gelatin)
- 2 1oz boxes unflavored gelatine
- 4 cups Vodka (you can sub gin or light rum)
- 4 cups Water
- Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise.
- Cut along the inside edge, about ½ inch away from the rind, with your knife at an angle facing toward the center of the watermelon.
- Cube watermelon. Make one inch cuts each direction to create a crosshatch pattern. Use a large serving spoon to scoop out the cubes.
- Scrape out the rest of the watermelon, creating a smooth bowl, leaving ½ inch of red flesh remaining. This ½ inch layer helps the Jell-O bind with the rind.
- In large bowl, combine the Jell-O and gelatin. Add the 4 cups of boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the vodka and stir to combine.
- Evenly pour the vodka jello mixture into each half. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- Place watermelon half on a folded towel to keep from rolling while in fridge.
- To serve, cut each half into 1-inch slices, then cut each slice into three wedges.
- Make kid-friendly, leave out the liquor, and the unflavored gelatin that helps the liquor set. Now it's only 3 ingredients.
- We used vodka, but you can use gin or light rum. Make them coconut & watermelon flavored with Malibu Rum.
- Use Jello shot cups if you don't want to use a watermelon. These little cups are also great for testing different liquors and flavors.
- When cutting or setting in the fridge, use a folded dish towel or bowl to keep the watermelon from tipping.
- For presentation, give them a rich ruby red color by adding a little red food coloring to the jello mixture.
- Watch Amanda in the video below to see a great way to cube watermelon.
Storing & Transporting
I store on a plate or platter, and cover them with saran wrap. I keep them chilled in the fridge, which makes them refreshing on hot days. Bringing them to a party? I transport them in a cooler or freezer bag.
These cute watermelon wedges are great for summer BBQs, game day gatherings, or just hanging out with friends at the beach or river. They're refreshing on hot days.