Our breakfast taquitos filled with sausage, peppers, cheese. They're a great hand-held breakfast food to get your day started. Perfect for grab and go mornings. You can customize our recipe with your favorite protein and veggies.
- cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ lb breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup red bell peppers diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 2 tbsps queso fresco crumbled
- 8 medium tortillas corn or flour
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and season with some salt and pepper. Whisk until combined, and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it is melted and bubbling, add the breakfast sausage and begin to brown.
- When the sausage is half cooked, add the diced bell pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook a few minutes more until the moisture from the spinach evaporates. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the eggs to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are mostly cooked. Add another pinch of salt.
- Add the queso fresco and mix to combine with the rest of the filling, then immediately remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Wrap the tortillas in a lightly dampened paper towel. Microwave the stack of wrapped tortillas for 30 seconds to make them pliable. Make sure the paper towel is not too damp, or the tortillas will tear. Alternatively, you can make the tortillas warm and pliable by wrapping them in foil, then sticking them in the oven for a few minutes.
- Spray the tortillas on both sides with the cooking spray and lay them out on a work surface.
- Divide the filling evenly between the the tortillas. Top each one with a little bit of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Roll the tortillas tightly and place them seam-side down on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy. After 10 minutes, when you check the taquitos, rotate the baking sheet.
- Allow the taquitos to cool slightly. The tortillas will crisp more after they have cooled a bit. Serve with salsa for dipping.